Lemon has also been found beneficial as a home remedy for knee pain caused by arthritis. The citric acid found in lemon works as a solvent for uric acid crystals, which is the cause of some types of arthritis.
- Cut one lemon into small pieces.
- Tie the pieces in a cotton cloth and dip the it in warm sesame oil.
- Place the cloth on the affected knee for five to 10 minutes.
- Do this twice daily until the pain is gone completely.
Also, drinking the juice of one lemon diluted in a glass of warm water early in the morning on an empty stomach is also beneficial.
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate that has been shown to provide relief from knee pain. Magnesium works as a natural muscle relaxant that helps remove excess fluid from the tissues, in turn reducing inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Add one-half cup of Epsom salt to a hot bath and and stir it well.
- Soak the affected knee in this warm solution for 15 minutes.
- Do this a few times a week until you get complete relief from the pain.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for those suffering from heart problems, high blood pressure or diabetes.
Eucalyptus oil has analgesic, or pain-relieving properties that help get rid of knee pain. The cooling sensation of this oil can even ease knee pain from arthritis.
- Blend together five to seven drops each of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil. Then, mix in two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Store the mixture in a dark glass bottle, away from direct sunlight.
- Rub this mixture onto your knees whenever they ache.
- Make sure to massage gently so that the oil penetrates deep into the skin.
If the knee pain is still there after one or two weeks, consult a doctor to find out the exact cause and treatment options.