The thyroid, a butterfly shaped gland in the front of the neck, can have a dramatic impact on many bodily functions. If you are a woman over 35 years, the chances of thyroid disorder, according to some estimates are higher than 30 percent.
According to estimates made by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, at least 30 million Americans have thyroid disorder, while half of patients with the condition are not diagnosed. Women are ten times more prone to thyroid problems.
The proper functioning of the thyroid is mostly affected by iodine and manganese, with iodine being much more important for the proper functioning of the gland. Below we present you with a simple test from myhealthmaven.com that can determine if your thyroid has enough iodine to normalize hormone production.
With iodine tincture, simply paint a postage size stamp on the inside of your wrist. If the brown stain fades in 24 hours or less, it indicates there is not sufficient iodine to normalize thyroid secretion to the cells. Even if you are taking pharmaceutical thyroid medication, lack of iodine will prevent your body from properly utilizing it.
IODINE PATCH TEST INSTRUCTIONS
1. Its best to do this test in the morning after showering but it is not required. You can start anytime.
2. Use Tincture of Iodine to paint a postage square size stamp on the inside of your wrist.
Note: Tincture of Iodine is available from any drugstore or pharmacy. Be sure it’s the original orange colored solution and not the clear solution.
3. Write down the time you painted your wrist.
4. Observe the coloration of the patch over the next 24 hours.
INTERPRETING IODINE PATCH TEST RESULTS
Overall, the faster the body draws in the iodine, the greater the iodine need is likely to be.
1. Patch begins to slightly lighten after 24 hours – NORMAL
2. Patch disappears, or almost disappears in 18-24 hours – MILD
3. Patch disappears, or almost disappears in 12-18 hours – MODERATE
4. Patch disappears, or almost disappears in 6-12 hours – SEVERE 5. Patch disappears, or almost disappears in under 6 hours – VERY SEVERE
You can repeat this test every 1-2 weeks to monitor the need for iodine. When the patch no longer disappears within 24 hours, adjust iodine dose accordingly.
I prefer whole food supplements whenever possible. You may wish to discuss Standard Process or Medi Herb options with your healthcare practitioner. For reference I have listed the amounts of iodine in the Standard Process and Medi Herb supplements listed below:
Thyroid Complex (MH)—600mcg
Trace Minerals B12—145mcg
Organically Bound Minerals—250mcg
Cataplex F (tablets)—95mcg
Article sources: www.myhealthmaven.com