Top 10 Deadly Plants You Should Remove From Your Home Immediately!

We all know that plants are extremely good and beneficial for us, especially the indoor plants. It’s mostly because they purify the air, provide oxygen and simply refresh our home and make it more comfortable to live in. But, you should be careful, because there are some plants which can be very dangerous, and you shouldn’t have them in your home. These plants can be very dangerous for you and your family, especially if you have small kids or pets in your house. This is why you should stay away from these plants, and if you have one in your home – you should throw it away immediately.

Here’s a list of the 10 deadly plants which you need to remove from your home immediately:

  1. Water Hemlock (Cicuta Maculata)

You should know that this dangerous plant is related to the poison hemlock, which was used to kill Socrates in ancient times. You should know that water hemlock is a large wildflower from the carrot family and it’s similar to Queen Anne’s lace by appearance. This plants looks like parsnips or celery. This plant is really dangerous and if it’s indigested it can cause side effects, even death. Water hemlock contains a deadly cictutoxin which is mostly concentrated in its roots and its consequences are felt almost immediately after exposure. Symptoms form water hemlock poisoning are painful convulsion, abdominal cramps, nausea and the most fatal cases result in death. People who’ve survived this type of poisoning often experience amnesia and lasting tremors.

  1. Deadly Nightshade (Atropa Belladonna)

Have you ever heard of the legend – the Macbeth’s soldiers poisoned the Danish invaders with wine spiced with the sweet fruit of the Belladonna? This plant has sweet taste and berry-like fruits, which are usually responsible for most cases of poisoning. You should know that this dangerous plant is native to the wooded areas in central and southern Europe and Asia and it has dull green leaves and black cherry-sized berries. Atropine and scopolamine are the poisons responsible for its toxicity, and they can be found in its stems, leaves, fruits and even roots. The poison, if ingested, causes paralysis of the involuntary muscles, including the heart, which can quickly have deadly consequences. It’s so poisonous that even if your skin comes in contact with the plant it can become irritated and inflamed.

  1. White Snakeroot (Ageratina Altissima)

First, you should know that this poisonous plant is native to North America. White snakeroot is a plant with flat-topped clusters of small white flowers, containing a toxic alcohol, called trematol. This herb is responsible for the death of Nancy Hawks, Abraham Lincoln’s mother. The worst thing about white snakeroot is that you don’t have to ingest it directly to be poisoned, Nancy died from drinking the milk of a cow that consumed this plant before that. This means that even the meat and milk from poisoned cattle can have deadly consequences if ingested. The most common symptoms of white snakeroot “milk poisoning” include loss of appetite, nausea, weakness, abdominal discomfort, red tongue, abnormal acidity of the blood, and eventually death. So, all farmers are warned about the toxicity of this deadly plant and they all try to remove this dangerous plant from their pastures.

  1. Castor Bean (Ricinus Communis)

This type of plant is usually grown as an ornamental plant due to its attractive looks and it’s native to Africa. You’ve probably heard about castor oil, right? The castor oil is produced from processed seeds, but before processing the beans contain a poison called ricin which is extremely deadly even in very small amounts. You should be very careful, because just one or two seeds are enough to kill a child while just eight seeds can easily kill an adult person. Ricin prevents the synthesis of proteins within cells and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and lead to death.

  1. Rosary Pea (Abrus Precatorius)

This her is also known as jequirity beans. It contains abrin, which is an extremely deadly ribosome-inhibiting protein. You should know that this plant is native to tropical areas and is often used in jewelry and prayer rosaries. It’s kind of weird that if the seeds aren’t damaged they are not poisonous, but if they are somehow scratched, broken, or chewed – they can can be deadly. Just three micrograms of abrin are enough to kill an adult, which is less than the amount of poison in one seed, and it is said that numerous jewelry makers have poisoned themselves and even died after accidentally puncturing their fingers while working with the seeds. And, just like ricin, abrin prevents protein synthesis within cells and can cause organ failure within four days.

  1. Oleander (Nerium Oleander)

This plant is known for its amazing pink flowers. Many people know that this plant is very toxic, but still – they keep it as a hedge and ornamental flower in their yard. You should know that all oleander parts are deadly and contain a toxin called oleandrin and nerine. So, if it’s accidentally ingested, oleander can cause vomiting, diarrhea, erratic pulse, seizures, coma, and death, and for some people even the slightest physical contact with this plant can lead to a rash and irritation. You will be shocked when we tell you that this plant is so poisonous that some people have gotten ill from eating honey made from bees that extracted pollen from this plant. However, oleander poisoning is really rare because the plant has a very bitter taste and doesn’t encourage anyone to taste it.

  1. Tobacco (Nicotiana Tabacum)

Did you know that tobacco is the most widely grown commercial non-food plant in the world? And, you should know that all parts of the plant, especially its leaves, contain the toxic alkaloids nicotine and anabasine, and can be fatal if eaten. Despite its designation as a cardiac poison, nicotine from tobacco is widely consumed around the world and is both psychoactive and addictive. According to the latest statistics, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, making it perhaps the deadliest plant in the world.

  1. Angel Trumpet

This toxic plant is a native South American plant and contains three powerful toxins: atropine, hyoscyamine and scopolamine, which has mind altering properties. Its deadly properties are not so deadly on its own but more when it’s used as a biological weapon by people. In a documentary, called “Colombian Devil’s Breath”, the makers explained how this toxic plant was used by criminal gang members to turn their victims into walking zombies. It has the power to make its victims unaware of what they are doing but still completely conscious. In the documentary there were a number of horrifying stories about people who were taken advantage of under the effect of this plant. The most shocking story is that one man, who was exposed to scopolamine powder, helped thieves rob his own apartment and he even helped them load the stuff into the truck.

  1. Spurge laurel

This dangerous plant is a woody mini shrub commonly found in ornamental gardens and public grounds and it is closely related to the Bay leaf. This plant doesn’t look dangerous, but you should be careful, because this plant is one of the deadliest plants and leads to a horrifying death. It contains powerful biocides and can cause painful blisters and skin irritation if you handle it without protection. This plant is deadly if consumed internally – wreaking complete havoc, major internal bleeding and organ failure after consuming just a few of its berries. It causes imminent death in just a few hours.

  1. Death Camas

This toxic plant is a flowering plant, native throughout the United States and generally reaches several feet in height. The flowers of this toxic plant grow as panicles – a cluster of flowers – that can resemble those of onions (Allium). This plant can also be confused with the edible Camas, which was an extremely important food source for northwestern Native Americans. All parts of the plants, from the leaves to the bulbs, contain zygacine, a steroidal toxin which if ingested results in rapid death. Ingested in the smallest amounts this plant leads to organ failure and blood disturbance, causing imminent death. We really hope you find this article helpful and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family. Thank You.